Friday, May 11, 2007

Media Junk? Where Does It Come From?

I am not a journalist. I never took a journalism course in college. I love the news, I read the paper or papers every day. Yet I wonder sometimes, who writes these articles, robots? Do they ever question their sources, question the information, ever ask who, what, why, when and where? Or do the just regurgitate what they're fed?

Here is an an example of what I consider nonsense. It is typical of what I read way too often. It is published here online, by MSNBC, possibly to be on the nightly news, featuring the puppet Brian Williams, (seems like a nice guy). Think about some of the nonsense being reported.

Peter



Eastern U.S. summers to be hotter, NASA finds
Study: Daily highs to be about 10 degrees warmer by the mid-2080s

WASHINGTON - Future Eastern United States summers look much hotter than originally predicted, with daily highs about 10 degrees warmer than in recent years by the mid-2080s, a new NASA study says.
Previous and widely used global warming computer estimates predict too many rainy days, the study says. Because drier weather is hotter, they underestimate how warm it will be east of the Mississippi River, said atmospheric scientists Barry Lynn and Leonard Druyan of Columbia University and NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies.

"Unless we take some strong action to curtail carbon dioxide emissions, it's going to get a lot hotter," said Lynn, now a scientist at Hebrew University of Jerusalem. "It's going to be a lot more dangerous for people who are not in the best of health."

The study got mixed reviews from other climate scientists, in part because the Eastern United States has recently been wetter and cooler than forecast."

The article goes on, and you can read the rest of it here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18601954/

But I think you get my point, it is nonsense. Hotter, wetter, drier.........these "scientists" have no idea, and they admit as much. They play games with their computer models and predict catastrophe, while the media eats it up and spews it out like fact. They sound like a group of children arguing about "who said what"! I can just see the cartoon now......."You see Martha.........I told you so....we'd better move from Florida soon or we'll all fry!" Unfortunately it seems a lot of people read and believe this junk, it scares the heck out of them, and then they vote based on their fear! Something is wrong.
Peter


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you!

Hey. Global warming has been going on since the end of the Ice Age.

Responsible scientists tell us that if we managed to stop ALL carbon emissions caused by human activity it would reduce those emissions by less than 14%. Now if we could put a cap on Mt. Etna, we could make a significant reduction. Check out the facts at www.sepp.org.

Remember, the so-called scientists who are scaring everyone about global warming being caused by human activity are the same ones who bring your local weather forecasts. Don’t know about you, but where I live, that’s not too impressive.


And by the way, just for the record, NASA "ain't what it used to be" when my husband was a scientist working on the Apollo and Gemini flights.

Peter said...

Thanks, I'm an independent geologist and never took the global warming doomsayers seriously until Al Gore started spouting off with such nonsense. And now with Democrats in control and proposing all these ridiculous bills, it's time to speak up. Actually, I hope it's not too late.

Read more of what I put on my blog, and I'm raising a little heck on the MSNBC discussion boards on the Environment, Global Warming, and Climate Change. I hope I ruffle a few feathers.
Peter

Anonymous said...

This doesn't surprise me coming out of NASA. Jim Hansen, also from NASA and an adjunct professor in the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences at Columbia University, has been one of the most outspoken supporters for manmade Climate Change since he gave testimony before Congress back in 1988. He's been forced to continually re-adjust his estimates throughout the last 30 years to meet the real data, which has been much lower than his original predictions.